Coordinator for French Language Program
Senior Lecturer with Security of Employment
Supervisor of the French Language Program
- Ph.D. Comparative Literature, University of California, Berkeley, 1983
- M.A. Comparative Literature, University of California, Berkeley, 1976
- B. A. French and Comparative Literature with Honors and Distinction in General Scholarship, University of California, Berkeley, 1975
- 2002-Present: Director, Lower Division French Program, University of California, Santa Barbara.
- 2000-2002: Academic Coordinator for the Berkeley Language Center.
- 1986-2002: Coordinator, Second-Year French Program, University of California, Berkeley.
Academic Distinctions and Awards
- UC Consortium for Language Learning and Teaching Award for Outstanding Contributions to Language Teaching at the University of California (2004).
- UC Berkeley College of Letters and Science McEnerney Grant (with Richard Kern and the Department of French, 1996-99).
- Gilbert Chinard Prize for best pedagogical article published in The French Review in 1991-92.
- Foreign Language Pedagogy; Second Language Acquisition
- Foreign Language Writing
- Nineteenth-and-Twentieth Century French Literature and Culture
- "The Role of Special Focus Sections in the Articulation of Language and Literature
Courses". Language Program Articulation: Developing a Theoretical Foundation. Eds. Catherine Marie Barrette & Kate Paesani. Boston, MA: Heinle & Heinle, 2004.
- "Toward a Pedagogy of the Francophone Text in Intermediate Language Courses."
The French Review, forthcoming in 2004.
- “The Gordian Knot: Language, Literature, and Critical Thinking.” SLA and the
Literature Classroom: Fostering Dialogues. Eds. Virginia M. Scott & Holly
Tucker. Boston, MA: Heinle & Heinle, 2001.
- With Hoffmann, Léon-François. Revised by Schultz, Jean Marie. L’Essentiel de la
Grammaire Française. New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 1995.
- Hoffmann, Léon-François & Schultz, Jean Marie. Travaux pratiques. New Jersey:Prentice Hall, 1995.
- And numerous articles in such journals as The Modern Language Journal, The French Review, etc.
|Fall 2010||FR 26||Advanced Composition|
|Fall 2009||FR 104C||Advanced French Grammar|
|Spring 2009||FR 26||Advanced Composition|
|Spring 2008||FR 104C||Advanced French Grammar|
|Spring 2007||FR 233C||Literary Theory and Literacy|
|Winter 2007||FR 104C||Advanced French Grammar|